Thursday, August 22, 2013

thoughts from a cafe.

Morning is slowly lighting the face of the mountains surrounding me. Black silhouettes become green trees, dark gray clouds change from the deepest to the softest of pinks, growing brighter with each passing moment. People drift in and out of this little cafe nestled in the middle of the valley I call home, voices lilt back and forth still heavy with sleep, being doused with gulps of coffee. Four o'clock came early this morning and my bed was really warm and the last thing I wanted to do was drag myself out of it...but, life is too short to sleep until the last possible second every morning. There are mornings when, rising before the birds begin to sing, becoming intimate with the stillness of the morning in all its deepness before the sun has turned her face towards you, this is worth losing the extra sleep for. Sitting outside this little cafe before it opened, having an early morning conversation with my Mom, still in somewhat of a fog from the lack of coffee, I watched the sky grow lighter, remembering just how much I miss this when it's been too long since the earliest of early mornings and I have spent time together. So, tucked away in my little corner table, the coffee is steaming hot and french pressed, the eggs and toast are delicious, the smell of bacon lilts through the air, and I realize again how deeply in love with mornings I am.

So do men apparently....because, I'm pretty sure I've been the only girl in this place since it opened. Either that, or these guys just love their pastries really fresh. It's probably that;) What's the deal, ladies?? I know y'all love mornings too...or at least some of you do. Honestly, I'm an aspiring morning person. I love going to breakfast with friends, but during said breakfasts I'm a fantastic listener, because until you get about two cups of coffee in me, my mouth doesn't work that well. However, I'll sit for hours listening to you talk. Funny thing about writers, we love listening and then processing everything and spitting it back out in whatever form we choose to write in. You should make friends with a writer just to have someone listen to you. Seriously.

So this verse for this morning:

"God is in the midst of her, she will not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns." 
-Psalm 46:5

Absolutely love this! Best part? I didn't see it until I was sitting here this morning:) Jesus is awesome. It seems that in the quiet of these early mornings, He speaks into the stillness of my heart, before it has become busy with the day, with whatever else is going on in my life and in the lives of those around me. Echoing through the caverns of my heart, His voice is clear and sweet and beautiful. And here in this place the chaos is silenced, the voices that would scream in and press forward are sent fleeing back into the darkness as light and life and joy are spoken here in the silence, and it is here that I know Him and He knows me, and this is truly all that matters. With every day that passes, with desires that I have that long and ache to be fulfilled, I'm learning just how unimportant they are next to Him, to knowing all He is, discovering a God that is living and breathing, laughing and loving and yet, serious for that which must be taken seriously. He is enough. And in this place, this is the thought that takes over all others. He is enough now and He will be enough in the future, for no matter what desires we have, he trumps them all. It is in Him that all joy is found, so if He chooses to take away or not fulfill what I would like, I will still bless His name because, He is enough.

"I love the Lord, because He hears my voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live." -Psalm 116:1, 2

2 comments:

  1. I am a morning person too, but have never been able to explain why I love it so much. Until now, that is. Thank you for describing it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your beautiful comment! Hope you have a day overflowing with the joy of Jesus:)

      Delete