Saturday, January 26, 2013

Lazarus and going deeper still.

(This post was written to "Interlude: The Last Hallelujah:, from the movie soundtrack "Second Chance"  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWeMCThKoRU)
"I must be a mermaid, I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

Loving this quote....simply captures the place I'm in right now. There is this deep well in my soul that absolutely nothing can fill, except my God. It's been interesting over the course of my life to see this well deepen into all that I am, and oh, how I've tried to fill it with other things. Which only makes the deepening go still deeper in an endless hopeless way. I've found, however, when I fill it with Him, when I push deeper into all He is, that well deepens into depths unknown with a joy and a hope of the glory to come. And the deep in Him I find, is exactly where I want to be.

Longing ever to go still deeper. Saddened for those I see who are settling for the shallows, the mere beginnings of all He would give. Wanting to tell, to shout at the top of my lungs from the highest mountain peek, "Go deeper, oh child of God! Do not accept that which is just the beginning, the mere shallow living of the Christian life! Dig deep, live big, live as big as your God is. Desire more and more and more until you are lost in the deep well of all He is!" This is what I would shout. What I would tell you. We are not living as big as our God is. His goodness, faithfulness, and love abound into the deepest depths of the star filled orb that stretches above us and beyond. How can we measure what He will do in our lives? We can't. So simply do not settle to live in the shallow end of all He would give you....seek out your God, go deep, live big, and watch and see what He will do. Be patient in the waiting, for it brings about an even greater glory in the end.

This week in my life has been filled with the story of Lazarus. Of how Jesus did not run to heal His friend when called, but instead, listened to the gentle whisper of His Father to wait, that an even greater work would be wrought in the lives that would witness the events unfolding before them. He willingly allowed and accepted the death of His friend, whom He dearly loved, because He knew of the glory that would come out of all hope being lost. He allowed Lazarus to die, so that hope was gone, and when given back again, those who witnessed what He did would believe. 

"So Jesus then said to them plainly, 'Lazarus is dead, and I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, so that you may believe..." 
-John 11:14,15
Surely, if Jesus had gone and healed Lazarus while he was sick, much belief would have occurred, people would have been amazed and glory given to God. However, Jesus allowed His Father to author events that would bring an even greater outcome to what happened. And it was not void of pain and sadness for Him. He loved Lazarus, Martha, and Mary dearly, and when He saw Mary and Martha's pain at the loss of their brother, He was deeply moved and wept for His friends. Yet, still He waited on His Father's timing. And those around who witnessed Lazarus RAISED from the DEAD were astounded at the glory that the Lord wrought.

And the question I hear Him whispering to my heart is, "Will you allow 'Lazarus' to die in your life, that I may bring about a greater work? Will you let go of that which you love most, will you hope only in Me, that my glory may shine forth when your hope is seemingly gone, and then given back to you by My hand? Will you allow Me to complete the work I have started that all those watching your life, will be brought to a deeper understanding of who I AM?"

And the pain is great and the tears are many and there are moments when I do not know if I can bear it. For my soul is weary....and yet, I have seen the work of my God in the land of the living and the deepest desire of my heart is that He would have the glory due His name through every single moment and detail of this life He has given me. 

There is an echo that resounds through my heart. Yes. Yes! I would let Lazarus die that He may work an even greater outcome. For the pain of the present moment does not compare with the glory to come for those who wait on the Lord. As He spoke to Mary:

"Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?" 
-John 11:40 
And she did. Lazarus died and all hope was given back to her. She believed and so saw the glory of her Savior.

"For from days of old they have not heard or perceived by ear, Nor has the eye seen a God besides You, Who acts in behalf of the one who waits for Him."
-Isaiah 64:4
Wait for Him, oh child of the living God, for if you do, you will see the glory of God and He will act on your behalf. For, He. Is. Faithful. Beyond all you can see in this moment, beyond all you can imagine, He will take your life and bring about a work from it that even you cannot imagine.

Seek Him. Always. Keep your eyes fixed upon His. This is what I would tell you in this moment if you were sitting across from me in this little coffee shop. For this is the key to all hope and peace and joy.

"Seek the Lord and His strength; Seek His face continually."
-Psalm 105:4 
 No, life will not be easy. It will not be void of pain. For as Beth Moore put so eloquently:

"Peace means the absence of fear and turmoil, not the absence of pain and grief."
Yet, what joy awaits you in the morning. What hope there is in the glory to come. That is the echo I hear on the wind, this overcast day in a little mountain town in Colorado. He is doing a work in His people, calling them forth, asking them to live a life that is worthy of Him, that is as big as He is. A life that boasts the majesty of the Living God, of El Elyon, that you may shine forth with His light into a world that is quickly waning.

And His light is more beautiful than the world can comprehend. This is what I would have you know, this is what I would urge you to seek, to press into Him, to dig deep into the Word of God that you may radiate all that He is, and have a heart knowledge of the God who loves you so much.

© Jade Valcarcel 2013. All rights reserved

0 comments:

Post a Comment